Celebrating the Art in Archaeology
October is California Archaeology Month and November is Native American Heritage Month. To celebrate, the San Diego County Archaeological Society and California State Parks have collaborated to present an annual archaeology-themed juried art show and contest called “Celebrating the Art in Archaeology.”
Art and archaeology are inextricably linked. Archaeologists often study the artistic creations of past cultures, whether ancient Grecian mosaics or finely crafted stone tools of pre-contact California. Archaeological sites and past peoples have long served as sources of inspiration for artists working in a variety of mediums. There is considerable artistic skill displayed in hand-drawn archaeological mapping and artifact illustration, and field photos can also be well-composed works of art. People engaged in replicative arts recreate clothing, tools, and other objects from the past using traditional materials and techniques. In the Native American community, artists use cultural traditions that are thousands of years old.
The exhibition features four categories of artwork to showcase the various ways that art and archaeology intersect. Works in the Archaeological Line Drawing category are hand-drawn archaeological illustrations, including artifact illustrations, maps and other line drawings used in archaeology. The Photography category encompasses both archaeological field photography and fine art photography with an archaeological theme or subject matter. The Fine Art category includes paintings, drawings, sculptures, and multimedia works with an archaeological theme or subject matter. In the Traditional Arts Category, works exhibit the use of traditional materials and/or techniques such as flintknapping, pottery, textile weaving/sewing, basketry, and blacksmithing
2017 CELEBRATING THE ART IN ARCHAEOLOGY Juried Art Show and Contest
**Entries due August 25, 2017**
We are now accepting submissions of original artwork for our second annual juried art show and contest (please see descriptions of the four categories, above). Prizes in each category will be awarded by a panel of judges. A juried exhibition of the archaeological artwork will be on display weekdays from 8am-5pm at the California State Parks office in Liberty Station, Barracks 26 (2797 Truxtun Rd, San Diego, CA 92106).
- All entries must have an archaeological theme, subject matter, or—in the Traditional Arts Category—use of traditional materials/techniques,
- All artists must be residents of San Diego County, CA or members of the San Diego County Archaeological Society.
- To comply with ethical and legal obligations, artwork may not depict identifiable site locations (unless it is a well-known and publicized location), show human remains, or be constructed using actual artifacts.
- Two entries are permitted per artist per category.
- For a complete set of rules, please refer to the “READ ME FIRST” document at http://goo.gl/nmAiey
To Enter the Contest
There is no fee to enter. For additional information and a complete set of rules, please refer to the “READ ME FIRST” document at http://goo.gl/nmAiey
To enter, please send digital image(s) of your artwork, an entry form (one per piece of artwork) and a liability release form (one per artist) to:
ArchaeologyArtShow@gmail.com with “art show” in the subject line. Please send any questions regarding the art show to the same email address.
There is no fee to enter. For information, rules, and entry forms
please see and download Art Show Flyer Below:
Dates to Remember:
- August 25, 2017: Entries due.
- October 6, 2017: Opening reception from 5-8pm during the Friday Night Liberty event at Liberty Station in Point Loma.
- October 21, 2017: Awards ceremony will be at the SDCAS “Arch in the Park” event at the Los Peñasquitos Ranch House.
- October 6 to December 29, 2017: Artwork on display at California State Parks office, Barracks 26, Liberty Station.
We are seeking sponsors to donate money, gift certificates or the like to provide prizes to the winning artists in each category, and to help offset the cost of displaying the artwork, hosting the opening reception, and printing the show catalogue. We are also requesting food donations (light snacks/non-alcoholic drinks) for the opening reception on Oct. 6th.
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact ArchaeologyArtShow@gmail.com for more information or send monetary donations to:
San Diego County Archaeological Society
PO Box 81106
San Diego, CA 92138